Detroit gives truck company $7.8 million contract to shut off peoples’ water

Latest

PHOTO/VALERIE JEAN

 
“This is a Homrich truck. Homrich is the private contractor who has already scored millions of dollars of taxpayers’ money for the purpose of shutting off residents’ water. The Department Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) absolutely refuses to consider a water affordability plan despite the fact that Detroit is in the middle of a Hepatitis A Outbreak . . . Homrich Wrecking was given a new $7.8-million contract earlier this year to conduct water shutoffs in the city through June 30, 2021. Previous years of contracts have been anywhere from $5.6 million or more.— Patricia Downing

PT Logo collage
+ Articles by this author

Free to republish but please credit the People's Tribune. Visit us at www.peoplestribune.org, email peoplestribune@gmail.com, or call 773-486-3551.

The People’s Tribune brings you articles written by individuals or organizations, along with our own reporting. Bylined articles reflect the views of the authors. Unsigned articles reflect the views of the editorial board. Please credit the source when sharing: ©2024 peoplestribune.org. Please donate to help us keep bringing you voices of the movement. Click here. We’re all volunteer, no paid staff.

1 COMMENT

  1. Homrich Wrecking? A WRECKING company gets $7.8 million to do what no moral person would have any part of. I assume it’s a no-bid contract with a handsome kickback to the people misrepresenting Detroit.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Featured

Journalist Says Why ‘I Can No Longer Work With Reuters’

A photojournalist says why it is impossible for her to maintain a relationship with Reuters "given its role in justifying and enabling the systematic assassination of 245 journalists in Gaza."

Abrego Garcia Detained Again, Could be Deported to Uganda

Kilmar Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran immigrant worker, was freed from detention in Tennessee Aug. 22 and then re-arrested by ICE on Aug. 25 in Maryland. The Trump administration is trying to deport Abrego Garcia to Uganda.

An Open Letter to Mayor Matt Mahan of San Jose, CA.

From the San Jose CA Frontlines: Stop the sweeps. Unhoused people want a safe place to stay. All people should be respected, shown compassion, understanding.

Global Food Authority Declares Catastrophic Famine in Gaza

On Aug. 22, the world's top authority on hunger crises officially declared that a catastrophe-level famine in Gaza exists—a humanitarian disaster engineered by Israel's relentless blockade of food aid and other life-saving supplies.

Thousands of Texans Protest Trump’s Redistricting Plan To Get More Votes

The Texas capitol of Austin saw 5,000 people protesting Trump’s unconstitutional redistricting plan and other issues threatening our democracy.

More from the People's Tribune