Flint braces for a long hot summer

Latest

A symbollic coffin commemorating those who died as a result of the Flint water disaster.
PHOTO/H20JUSTICE FACEBOOK

 
FLINT, MI — In 2018, the Michigan Department of Human Services reported 28 known cases of Legionella disease in Flint. So far this year there are eight cases, but as Frontline PBS recently reported, scores of cases in the past may have been misdiagnosed. See Frontline’s “Five Years In, The Flint Water Crisis Continues Its Deadly Toll.”
Nevertheless, health officials do agree that as warmer weather of Summer approaches, the risk of Legionella and other bacterial diseases will increase. The elderly, those with compromised immune systems, and infants, are especially vulnerable. Consequently, as local Dr. Lawrence Reynolds cautioned at the five-year commemoration event held recently, residents should continue to use PURIFIED bottled water.
State officials under the newly elected Democratic governor have so far not delivered on her promise to restore state-sponsored bottled water to Flint residents. Bottled water was discontinued last year under the previous governor.
Meanwhile, an underreported part of the Flint water disaster is the fact that water rates here are among the highest in the nation! Scores of Flint water customers experience water shut offs.
Residents still need water filtered for showering, washing clothes, etc.
Right now we rely on woefully inadequate charitable donations resulting in blocks  and blocks of cars lined up for 2-3 hour long waits. This is unacceptable. This is something the government should be doing. Now campaign season is here for Flint’s Mayoral election. Residents demand a path to tap ready and affordable clean water free from corporate and Wall Street control.
See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lekYRPRZEJQ  for Frontline PBS story.

+ Articles by this author

Free to republish but please credit the People's Tribune. Visit us at www.peoplestribune.org, email peoplestribune@gmail.com, or call 773-486-3551.

The People’s Tribune brings you articles written by individuals or organizations, along with our own reporting. Bylined articles reflect the views of the authors. Unsigned articles reflect the views of the editorial board. Please credit the source when sharing: ©2024 peoplestribune.org. Please donate to help us keep bringing you voices of the movement. Click here. We’re all volunteer, no paid staff.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Featured

Journalist Says Why ‘I Can No Longer Work With Reuters’

A photojournalist says why it is impossible for her to maintain a relationship with Reuters "given its role in justifying and enabling the systematic assassination of 245 journalists in Gaza."

Abrego Garcia Detained Again, Could be Deported to Uganda

Kilmar Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran immigrant worker, was freed from detention in Tennessee Aug. 22 and then re-arrested by ICE on Aug. 25 in Maryland. The Trump administration is trying to deport Abrego Garcia to Uganda.

An Open Letter to Mayor Matt Mahan of San Jose, CA.

From the San Jose CA Frontlines: Stop the sweeps. Unhoused people want a safe place to stay. All people should be respected, shown compassion, understanding.

Global Food Authority Declares Catastrophic Famine in Gaza

On Aug. 22, the world's top authority on hunger crises officially declared that a catastrophe-level famine in Gaza exists—a humanitarian disaster engineered by Israel's relentless blockade of food aid and other life-saving supplies.

Thousands of Texans Protest Trump’s Redistricting Plan To Get More Votes

The Texas capitol of Austin saw 5,000 people protesting Trump’s unconstitutional redistricting plan and other issues threatening our democracy.

More from the People's Tribune